Wednesday, January 13, 2010

MPI season opener - 1/7/2010

It's basketball season again and another chance at practicing sports photography. Luckily, the brand new Gym at Maryknoll is really nice and bright. I also tried shooting w/ Manual setting @ ISO 640, 1/200 and F2. My first objective: Get a good shot of the tip-off.
It was difficult to focus on the fast action, and since I was sitting around mid court and 3 rows up, there were very few close-up action shots..
The easiest shots for me are the ones at the basket since the focus point has a larger area w/ the group of players. Also, my camera has an easier time when the focus is on the white shirts.
As I was editing out my shots, I remember reading a sports posting from Jamm Aquino at Star bulletin talking about shooting zebras at the High School football game... I, too, went on an Owls (MPI) shoot and all I got were zebra shots!! ha! ha! Occasionally, I did get action shots w/ two players... The zebra was everywhere! The game was close to the end, but as the clock ran out, Maryknoll pulled ahead and won 37-31.

3 comments:

Erick said...

Very nice! Good exposure and focus. It is kind of interesting how your white balance changes, the lighting in the gym must be different from one end to the other. Good job of shooting action!

SW said...

yeah, I know... it was so well lit I and I shot w/ florescent White Balance but my photos still looked pink..somehow I think that red bench did something weird to my white balance. I tried to reduce the red color in PSE, but it didn't work on all of the photos.

celia said...

Wow these are great. Excellent action shots especially your tip-off. Should be a fun season of basketballs shooting.