Friday, September 10, 2010

Kualoa and La'ie - 9/6/2010

On labor day, I joined Erick and Celia on a landscape shoot. Thanks to Erick who drove us townies to these two scenic spots way on the other side of the island. I don't have a polarizer so my first few shots had washed out the sky so I decided to try HDR. I didn't think of bringing a tripod so I just steadied my camera on the fence to take these shots for the HDR.
HDR helped bring out the blue in the sky as well as the vibrant greens.
Too bad there was this 'no trespassing' sign, otherwise, I could've gotten closer to the ruins.

Chinaman's head was just around the corner from the ruins.
Then we drove to La'ie to this lookout spot I've never been where you can see these cool islands that reminded me of photos I've seen of the Galapagos Islands...
I did a close up HDR version of the island because the rock formation looked so cool.
Next to the long island was this tiny island. I wondered what is the significance of this stack of rocks and who had put them there.
On the rocky cliff area that I took the previous shots, there was this hole you can see thru to the ocean that also intrigued me because I thought it was shaped like a heart. It was hard to shoot because it was bright on both sides and dark on the inside. This was the best out of nearly 10 shots I took. I lucked out and found the heart shaped 'cookie cutter' in PSE so I cropped it just to demonstrate my point. :-)
On the other side of the cliff, some people had set up tent. I'm amazed they didn't get a flat from driving on the rough terrain.
I took a panorama of the shore line on the other side of the cliff area.. sorry I have NO idea where this is..
On our way back to town, I practiced 'drive by shooting'. I was lucky my camera was even able to focus so fast w/ Erick's driving! I got this shot of Kuoloa Ranch.
I also got this valley...again..not sure where this was either. All in all, it was great to venture outside of the city and not see any of the concrete jungle.

3 comments:

Erick said...

Wow, great HDR shots of the old sugar mill and Laie Point! The heart shot of the hole is so creative, great shot. Terrific post.

celia said...

Terrific HDRs without using a tripod. I like the 2nd shot - gives a perspective about the size of the sugar mill. Good zoom in on Chinaman's Hat. I notice the rocks on top of the island with the opening as well as the next one. The HDR really brought out the texture. Woohoo you got a good shot of Kualoa Ranch with the horse grazing - amazing fast shot in a moving car. That was fun for us townies, Shun Wah. Thanks again to Erick for the drive.

jalna said...

Great shots!! Looks like you did trespass a little . . . hahaha. Love the heart-shaped puka.