Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chinese New Year Festival - 1/29/2011

Chinese New Year is on Feb. 3rd so the weekend prior is the big festival in Chinatown on Maunakea Street and the Chinese Cultural Plaza. The new year is the year of the Rabbit. This year I didn't bring my 50D since I had to do some food shopping so I only brought along the Lumix ZS6.
Stores were stocked with red and gold items for the new year.
Lots of things were decorated for the year of the rabbit.
There were lots of lion dances,
and lots of narcissus flowers.
There was this unusual Narcissus blossom that had a fuzzy center. It was the first time that the carver ever saw this unusual blossom in his 30 years of doing this.
There were many carved narcissus...what I aspire to do.. I'll try again next year.
Of course there were lots of food booths like this one selling jai.
This is the first time I saw this 'Dragon Whisker' candy made in Chinatown. It is fine sugar kneaded and pulled into very fine threads, then the bunches of threads are used to wrap a peanut, coconut and sugar filling. I wanted to buy some, but you had to wait for more than an hour to get your order so I ended up just taking a picture of it :-P
Not bad a price for hand made candy.
And of course, you can't have chinese new year without the jin dui....
I was trying to get a closeup shot of the jin dui w/o getting my camera fried and I tried to show them bobbing around and bubbling in the hot oil...yum!!!

2 comments:

Erick said...

Wow, pretty good for a P&S. The shot of the 2 stuffed rabbits is so cool. Food looks great too.

jalna said...

Very, very good post . . . captures Chinese New Year well. I love your jin dui action shot . . . and Dragon Whiskers, first time I ever heard of that.