Saturday, November 26, 2011

Waikiki, 11/11/11 and APEC Part 2 - 11/11/2011

In the late afternoons over the 3-day weekend, I ventured out to take more photos of the sunset. Nature was cooperating and the sunset was beautiful. I went walking around the Ala Wai to see paddlers then down Kapahulu Ave. to watch the sunset.
I found a lifeguard station I've never seen before and I've always wanted a shot of it in the sunset...what luck...but I was a little early.
Then I thought I'd take one of the sunset at the Waikiki Groin.  It was still too early..
I got a cool shot of the pattern in the lattice roof.  I've been there numerous times, but  I never took notice of it.
As I wait for the sun to set, I was watching the wave break on this reef block and thought how cool it looked as the white waves crash against the reddish colors of the block.  I took numerous shots and finally got the one I was looking for.
I tested the zoom on the Lumix and found it was pretty decent and I can even see the fencing they had put up on the beach for security during the Saturday Leaders meeting at Hale Koa Hotel.
It was pretty hazy, but I could see the coast guard that had gone out to man the ocean front.
As the sunset hit the cloudy sky, the sky looked awesome.
I found a front row spot as the sun was setting.  I shot these w/ max zoom. It was a good thing there were surfers in the foreground.
I changed to sunset scene mode and everything looked really red.  I also took a portrait shot to get a different perspective.
Just as the sun was about to set, the two sail boats made it close enough to fit into my frame!
I cropped this shot taken at the widest focal length to look like a panoramic shot. 
I remember from the talks given by Mike Wiley about visiting the same place over and over again to get different shots, so I went back again to get another shot at the sunset from the lifeguard station. I thought it would be perfect to have a sunset w/ the surfboard and the lifeguard station.
I was looking at my photos in my camera and when I looked up and the life guard was closing down and then the surf board was gone! bummers!  So I settled w/ this shot.
Mike had also talked about trying Portrait shot instead of landscape to get a different perspective.
I don't think I could've planned for a guy to sit in my shot..but I think it worked out really well.
As I was walking away, I found another person admiring the sunset creating a cool silhouette.
I was REALLY close to capturing the green flash!

3 comments:

Erick said...

Wow, very cool. You got great sunset shots. My favorites are the bike shot and the surfer sunset. Very cool post!

Lance said...

The colors came out beautiful. I love the groin shot. Great that you narrate and share your thoughts. Yes I like the portrait for that shot over the landscape.

jalna said...

I looooove the pano!!!