Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Makapu'u/Makai Pier Moon Shoot - 01/08/2011

This is the first time I've been to the moon shoot w/ the Eyes of Hawaii group and this time we met at the Makapu'u Pier. On our scenic drive there, I could see the sunset turning the terrain red. I was glad to have snapped a photo out the window.
When we got there, I was taking photos of the beach and saw a single stick in the sand.  As I looked in my viewfinder, I could see a cross.  Looking up, I realized it was created by a stick that was lying on the sand. 
I tried unsuccessfully to make the water smokey with varying slow shutter speeds.  This was the best I could do w/o over or under exposing the shot.  Next time, I'll try the method Celia told me.
When the moon finally appeared, it was large and yellow.  I tried to capture it but had to boost the color a little in PSE.  I'm not sure why the moon looks so small in the shot.
One of my last attempt of the night was to take the streaks of the cars going along the road side.  I believe all those lights are coming from the buildings at Sea Life Park. The light on the edge of the mountain is the Makapu'u Light House.  After we were done, we all then met for dinner at Kona Bar and Grill at Koko Marina.

2 comments:

jalna said...

Nice shooting Shun Wah. Looks like you had a great outing!

celia said...

You got a great pix while Gary was driving - lighting, sharpness and angle all were terrific. Your third pix came out well. Hopefully we can go again - so you can try my method.