Friday, July 15, 2011

Fish Auction -- 7/9/2011

The Hawaii Photographic Society had a photo outing at the United Fishing Agency to see the Fish auction. I woke up at 4am and I kept thinking it was crazy to be out in this darkness. We met at 5:30am on a Saturday morning..yawn..zzz.. Thanks to Celia as she kept me awake. I took this sign at 8am since it was DARK when we got there.
When we got inside, there were many pallets filled w/ fish on ice. This was the most fish I've ever seen and I was told it wasn't their busiest day. I was just getting more awake and starting to take some photos and people were already checking out the fishes. Although it looked well lit, my first few shots were dark so I ended up using manual setting and ISO 800. Luckily I didn't have much noise.
Each fish was tagged and coded. This is an Ono..
Some Mahimahi...
I think these are Opah. I learned that you need some people in the shot in order to show the size of these fishes.
Each fish is displayed w/ a sectional cut to show its meat's texture.
Looks like it'd make some good sashimi..
Some fishing tails...
The buyers examine the fishes.
The bidding process happened so fast, I didn't even see any movement then it was sold. Most of the fishes were sold by the time we left around 7:30 am.
Once sold, they're carted off.
My overhead shots didn't come out but this shot is what I call a "Fisheye's point of view" as this is what you'd see if you were a fish..
The fishes are labeled w/ the buyer info. It was a cool shoot to be in a real working environment. In retrospect, I'd get up early to do this again...hope we get to come back again.

2 comments:

jalna said...

Very, very cool. I loooove your "fish point of view" shot. Belongs in National Geographic!

Lance said...

Were you able to understand the auctioneer's language? hehe. They speak so fast and the buyers' respond with their own sign language.