Friday, April 6, 2012

Shop a Lea @ Ala Moana Center - 03/25/2012

I had so much fun at the last fashion show at Ala Moana, I was excited to try again at this event. When I arrived, I saw a row of photographers all with huge zoom lens! I was nervous to join in that professional looking crowd. But once the fashion show started, I totally forgot all about it and started clicking. They had shows at the top of each hour and each lasted a quick 10-15mins. The lighting was uneven with bright spots causing me to have blown out or dark shadows shots. As the afternoon sun shifted, it was a lot better and I started to get used to the quick walk of the models.
I went on Saturday night to practice a little and got to see Michael Costello who was 3rd place on the Project Runway All Star. I didn't get to practice shooting models, but did get some good fashion tips.
Through the madness of the quick pace shoot, I did get some runway walking shots.
I discovered that I shot mostly portraits the whole time...I think I was subconsciously aiming for the look of a magazine page.
It took me a while to get the rhythm of the pattern of their walk and when the models pose.  But then it was all over in a few minutes.
Earlier in the afternoon, I had a hard time getting closeup shots as they would be right beneath the sunlight and I'd get dark shadows.   I had to recover the shot using photoshop element.
The best lighting came from the last show when the sunlight was no longer harsh so I was able to get some decent closeups.  It was fast and furious and time passed so quickly that I totally forgot that I had been standing for more than 3 hours!

1 comment:

Erick said...

Very nice! You got excellent shots of the models.