Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chinese New Year Festival - 01/26/2013

Just a couple of weeks ago, I was at the Japanese New year celebration, today I was in Chinatown and checked out the Pre-Chinese New Year Festivities at the Chinese Cultural Plaza. There were booths selling new year good luck trinkets and food as well as lion dance performance.
Almost everything in this booth is red and gold color.  
This booth had Jung (mochi rice wrapped in bamboo leaves) and I have no idea what is in the other pot.
They also had jin dui and other dim sum and desserts..
They set up the firecrackers before the lion dance.
There were two troops so there was twice as many drums and cymbols and it was very noisy.  When I went to lunch, my ears were still ringing for the first 10mins of sitting down.


There was a booth selling these cherry blossom which were pretty pricey, but people buy them to display in their homes for good luck.  The real Chinese New Year festivities will be next weekend on Feb. 1 and 2 when there will be a parade w/ many lion dances and street festival on Maunakea Street. 

3 comments:

Photo Fashionista said...

Kung Hee Fat Choy! Great shots! I haven't been to Chinese New Year in Chinatown for years!

celia said...

Looks like Chinese New Year is already in full swing. Thanks, I am getting excited looking at these pictures.

Erick said...

Cool shots! The food looks so good. Hey, you went without us. Lets go to the parade.