Thursday, January 17, 2013

New Year Ohana Festival - 01/13/2013

Somehow, I managed to miss this event every year but I finally got a chance to check out the Ohana Festival this year at the Japanese Cultural Center. I was worried it would rain, so I didn't bring my 50D but it turned out to be a great but super hot day.  The Lumix is great for sunny outdoor shots, but too slow for action  shots so I  didn't get any good performance shots. Still i managed to click at the right time to get some good mochi pounding pics and the long zoom helped get great closeups.
When I arrived, they were doing the Mochi Pounding or "mochi-tsuki" demonstration. It was really cool how they managed to pound the grains of mochi rice into a sticky dough.
I wanted to get pics of the entire process so I came back later to get better shots of the mochi-tsuki process.




At the cultural center, they had calligraphy writing make-it take-its.
 I watched a dance performance by these girls in brightly colored kimonos.
And of course the Taiko performers.  I recognized them from the Okinawan Festival.
I wasn't a fan of Kikaida when I was little because of the language barrier, but saw that the actor was going to appear so I fought the crowd to try get some pics..  I think he is Kikaida..
And here's the actor Ban Daisuke who came all the way from Japan.
There were also appearance of Kikaida's Friend, who I have no idea what his name is.. but I know he is a 'good guy'.  It was great fun and the kids young and old loved it.  

5 comments:

Photo Fashionista said...

I really like the way your photos tell a story. I feel like I attended the event as well. Great job!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting these photos. You did a good job of documenting the mochi-making process.

I did go too, but only for a couple of hours in the morning. At least now, I know what I missed.

jalna said...

I have yet to catch this event myself. I did pass by it though. That's the closest I've gotten.

celia said...

I am glad you finally got to enjoy this festival. Great shots with your Lumix - especially the mochi pounding. I have to laugh about Kikaida's friend - he is cross eyed.

Erick said...

Wow, way cool! The mochi shots are awesome.