Thursday, June 6, 2013

Recuperating with the South Shore Big Surf - 6/5/2013

I've been home most of the past week but felt it would be good to go out for a short walk. Being that there would be the rare big surf on the south shores today, I had to take my camera with me. I took my trusty Lumix since I'd need quite a zoom and walking w/ a large lens on the beach makes me feel weird. When I got to the beach, I saw other guys w/ long lens trying to capture surf, etc. 
It seemed like it was high tide so the waves looked even larger to me.  Lots of people were out and I decided to go closer to the water at the Groin at the end of Kapahulu Ave .   
The waves were so high, even the walkway was wet.. I was hesitant to go to the end since I had no intention of getting wet.
There were mostly body boarders but I could see a few surfers out there. I was out around 3pm and the sun was still beaming so it's difficult for the camera to meter correctly and most of my surfers/body boarders came out dark.
This was the best shot I got of a body boarder.
Kids love to jump off as the waves roll in and I waited and waited for him to take the leap.. 
The jet ski was out for rescuing.  With so many out there and the large waves, I don't see how they can see those in trouble. The news paper said there were 126 rescues today..wow..
I was watching this group sitting on the edge catching the large waves as it crashed all the way up to the walkway.  I tried not to get wet as I was taking the shot.  I saw others photogs trying for the same shot.
Some people came right in front of me.. then I realize she's w/ the Star Advertiser!  To my surprise, she was going after the same shot I was.. I heard her say something about the water got really blown out.  It's so cool to know that even real Professionals have the same problems too..I've been checking the site to see if I can see her final pics..
I was trying to get the surfer, but my shutter press is a little delayed so I got a wipeout instead..I thought it was pretty cool anyways.  As I was standing around, I got a wipe out of sorts when a large wave hit the walkway.  I got all wet and so did my camera.. I quickly wiped it w/ my shirt and was happy that it still works.

5 comments:

jalna said...

Ahem . . . being with the newspaper doesn't make it less rude to stand right in front of you while you're taking your shot. She coulda waited. That being said . . . NICE SHOTS, SHUN WAH!!! GREAT JOB!!

SW said...

THANKS!! oh...LOTS of people got in front of me and in my shot.. that was the cleanest shot of one photog.. ha.ha...I didn't get closer cuz I REALLY didn't want to get wet.. :-
)

Erick said...

Wow, cool surf shots! You don't normally see waves on the south shore that big. Love the group splash shot. I try hitting them with my camera when they get too close. Just say "sorry" after you hit them.



celia said...

I love how you express what you are doing and how you are feeling. You got many great angles. Very good captures!!!

Photo Fashionista said...

Great shots! Glad to see you are feeling better! :)